Sunday 10 July 2011

A Little Butterfly Fairy

I am part of a postcard swap which runs over 12 months. Every participant chooses her own theme. The first postcard went to Jeanie whose theme was: create a post card in your own style. This is always a tricky one for me as I do not really have a distinct style - I think - but create projects depending on my mood, surroundings, ... on the day. And there is also always the challenge to make sure that a postcard is as flat as possible ... I have to admit this part did not quite work out so well ...
The postcard now safely arrived at Jeanie's so I can show it to you
The background is created with gesso, various acrylic paints and some vintage musical notepaper on watercolour paper. This was daunting as I had never done anything like this before ... but it was great fun and it came all quite easily together. The tricky part was the stamping. First I stamped some subtle patterns onto the painted background using cinnamon hybrid ink and stamps from Impression Obsessions and Penny Black - this worked very well. Then I started to stamp the images ... and this went horribly wrong at first. Using the wrong ink the stamped images started to run and it looked all blotchy. But thanks to Lucy who taught me to use archival ink for stamping on acrylic paint, all went well in the end ... Lucy, I would have been lost without your advice! The sentiment is Kaisercraft, the brackets Hero Arts, the corner Crafty Individuals and the little butterfly fairy Red Lead Paperworks. To balance the composition I did some fuzzy cutting using Hero Art flowers and a Darkroom Door butterfly. The finishing touches were some pink and turquoise glitter. Have a wonderful Summer Sunday, Petra. x

Linked to: Theme Thursday - Wings

13 comments:

Terry said...

Oh I just blamed Lucy for my interest in shrink plastic! Even went out and bought a toaster oven for it!!! No doubt, Jeanie, Loves here amazing postcard. Love the colors and texture! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Sharon said...

This is so gorgeous Petra - great images and I love the flowers and the butterfly that have been mounted on the postcard too!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Oh- so pretty- love the blue BG, love the flower and butterflies.

Victoria said...

So gorgeous...what a beautiful creation...lovely!

Lynn Stevens said...

Love the little fairy stamp Petra,

I'm still having problems on some blogs, where the follower list dosen't show or I just can't leave a comment. Sorry I'm no help.
hugs Lynn

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! That background is delicious!

2amscrapper said...

Where is this post card going? Did you know ballerinas and fairies are my theme this week on my blog? And you used my favorite Red Lead stamp! Please stop by Bella Creations--Starr left you a special post.

Lucy Edmondson said...

This turned out beautifully! The background in the flesh is lovely. I wasn't following my own advice last night as I didn't have a purple archival and used StazOn on acrylic paint and it wasn't so good, so better get myself another,

Lucy x

Martina said...

Eine traumhaft schöne Kreation, liebe Petra!
Das Blau leuchtet richtig.....

Anonymous said...

This ia so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful!

Jean Franks Beck said...

This is gorgeous, Petra! I love your background, and that fairy image is one of my faves.

Alexa said...

I think it's turned out fabulous! (An artful journey is the best way to learn). So glad to hear that you don't think you have a style either - thought I was the only one ... and I've still got my postcard to make!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails